Nutritional Food for Canines
Every being have their unique nutritional needs. Just like humans, when it comes to dogs, a healthy balanced diet is essential to stay happy and healthy. However, you need to know what exactly dogs should eat and what they shouldn’t as their needs differ from us. Understanding how to select a good dog food, how much and when to feed will help dogs live longer and healthier lives by preventing diseases and advancing immunity. So, Yeti Dog Chew has listed you a guide on feeding your dog.
So what are the essentials for your dogs?
Well the Pet Food Industry Association of Australia (PFIAA) suggests that the food you provide your dog must supply 4 basic requirements:
- Protein and other minor nutrients. A minimum of 18% protein is required for a dog’s diet for maintenance and adults and 22% for reproduction and growth. Vegetable proteins can be hard to digest so look for dog food with mostly animal protein. Avoid overfeeding as too much protein can lead to hyperactivity.
- Fat, including essential fatty acids. Fats provide energy as well as keep your dog's coat soft and healthy. Adult dogs need at least a minimum of 5% fat in their diet.
- Vitamins, minerals, and essential micro-nutrients. A proper vitamin and mineral supplement are required to meet your dogs’ nutrients needs.
- Energy. Dogs need energy for their daily activity.
Other than the above, fresh and clean Water is also very important.Your dog's water needs depend on his activity level. Feeding a lot of dry food will make your dog thirsty so giving your pooch at least one quart of water for every pound of dry food is a good idea.
A balanced diet
Now that you know the basic requirements, you must also understand that dogs need proper balance of the essentials. Moderately-sized meals in the right interval of time fuel their activities but overfeeding or underfeeding can put them in the risk of diseases like diabetes.
Dogs needs depend upon their age, activity level and ideal weight. Yeti Dog Chew products have labels to help you guide on the portion size but you can also ask your vet how much is best for your type of dog to maintain a healthy weight. Proper nutrition will help protect your dog's joints and reduce the risk of arthritis.
Adult dogs should typically have two small meals a day. Puppies, however, will need to eat more often to keep up with their faster metabolism and to fuel their growth. For a rough outline, follow the following guideline:
- Toy dogs (3-12 lbs): 1/2 - 1 1/4 cups
- Small dogs (13-25 lbs): 1 1/4 – 2 cups
- Medium dogs (26-50 lbs): 2 – 3 3/4 cups
- Large dogs (51-100 lbs): 3 3/4 – 6 3/4 cups
- Extra Large dogs (over 100 lbs): 6 3/4 plus 1/2 cup for each 10 lbs of body weight over 100 lbs
Yeti Dog Chew is the best food for your best friend. It is especially provided with the proper balance of nutrients for healthier canines. Our products help maintaining healthy skin and soft coat, better digestion, healthier gum line and stronger teeth and promote immunity. Feed our products to your dog and he will love even more.